Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Which backpack do you prefer for a short commute?

• Alpinestars Charger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Klim Krew Pak

Votes: 0 0.0%

Backpacks, opinions and poll

5K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  g00gl3it 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, lookiing for a new backpack for my commute to the daily grind. I travel about 20 minutes so relatively short ride. I currently have a Motocentric Moto. It was great for the past 3 years but now zippers are seperating from the pack and it will no longer zip shut. I'm looking at several packs right now. I need to be able to carry my lunch pack, a water bottle and my coffee thermos(small one). Just wondering what everyone's experience is with diff packs and any suggestions for a purchase. I have included a poll of the packs I am considering. Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have this, in a different color:

Dakine Mission 25L Dakota - 6pm.com

It has a sleeve to keep water bottles upright.

I do not like backpacks, since when they start to get heavy, it's weight that you can feel while riding. I prefer tank bags, or better yet a top case. I also have to carry a laptop for work, so a sleeve is a must.

The laptop sleeve and bottle holders are necessary. Also add the chest and waist straps to that list.

#4 · (Edited)
I have been using a Rapid Transit Recon 19 tank bag / backpack every day for the past five years and counting... only wear and tear is slight fading on the zipper fabric from so much sun time. These things are low drag and can hold more than you would EVER think they could. I can easily fit a couple water bottles or sport drinks and something to eat in mine, with a little room to spare. There is even an internal sleeve for hydration systems. I go back and forth using it as a tank bag or backpack all the time.

Recon 19 Tank Bag

Features

• Magnetic tank bag
  • WIND & WATER RESISTANT 1000D nylon construction
  • Scratchguard rubberized contact fabric
  • Magnetic mounting system
  • Integrated tank protector
  • Backpack convertible
  • Hydration Ready ( optional bladder )
  • Audio Ready System
  • Map window, Cell phone & Eyewear storage
  • Rain cover
  • Reflective stripe
  • 40cm x 26cm x 18cm storage (18.7 Liters)
  • 15.8” x 10.2” x 7.1” storage (1144 cubic in.)
Colors

• Black / Gunmetal

RAPID TRANSIT - Performance Motorcycle Luggage

If the day ever comes that I need to replace mine, I will be purchasing another Rapid Transit bag. :yes:

#8 ·
I have been using a Rapid Transit Recon 19 tank bag / backpack every day for the past five years and counting... only wear and tear is slight fading on the zipper fabric from so much sun time. These things are low drag and can hold more than you would EVER think they could. I can easily fit a couple water bottles or sport drinks and something to eat in mine, with a little room to spare. There is even an internal sleeve for hydration systems. I go back and forth using it as a tank bag or backpack all the time.

Recon 19 Tank Bag

Features

• Magnetic tank bag
  • WIND & WATER RESISTANT 1000D nylon construction
  • Scratchguard rubberized contact fabric
  • Magnetic mounting system
  • Integrated tank protector
  • Backpack convertible
  • Hydration Ready ( optional bladder )
  • Audio Ready System
  • Map window, Cell phone & Eyewear storage
  • Rain cover
  • Reflective stripe
  • 40cm x 26cm x 18cm storage (18.7 Liters)
  • 15.8” x 10.2” x 7.1” storage (1144 cubic in.)
Colors

• Black / Gunmetal

RAPID TRANSIT - Performance Motorcycle Luggage

If the day ever comes that I need to replace mine, I will be purchasing another Rapid Transit bag. :yes:

Hmm, had not considered a tank bag bk I need to also have it function as a backpack but after looking at this tank bag and a few others I may reconsider. I have seen a few brands with back straps built in.

#16 · (Edited)
Reactions: Mech Moto Man
#15 ·
Cortech Super 2.0 18-Liter Magnetic Tank Bag - RevZilla
This is the tank bag I use, also has hidden backpack straps... I've only had to extend it to the full 18 liters twice, but it was really nice to have the extra room, and then it still looks halfway decent when it's not extended. I never leave home without it.

Attachments

#17 ·
Frankly, there is no reason to go"trick" with a backpack -- about 15 years ago I went to an REI (Recreational Equipment Inc.) and looked over their huge selection of backpacks. Decided on a Teton model that has a single large main compartment, a smaller zippered side pocket and a mesh back for wet clothing. It was originally made for day rock climbers and in consequence is made quite tough. The best part is it only cost $38.00, has seen well over 150,000 miles of commuting, touring, errand running, and hiking without a single problem.

On a side note I never have liked tank bags -- they can interfere with the bars at full lock, especially with my preferred low bars, and more importantly vibration transmitted through the tank can adversely effect any sensitive devices such as cameras, a thermos, or electronics. In a backpack the isolation provided by your body prevents this. Add to that the fact that any valuables in a backpack stay with you, instead of on the bike. An important point under certain curcumstances.

Rob

#19 ·
Frankly, there is no reason to go"trick" with a backpack -- about 15 years ago I went to an REI (Recreational Equipment Inc.) and looked over their huge selection of backpacks. Decided on a Teton model that has a single large main compartment, a smaller zippered side pocket and a mesh back for wet clothing. It was originally made for day rock climbers and in consequence is made quite tough. The best part is it only cost $38.00, has seen well over 150,000 miles of commuting, touring, errand running, and hiking without a single problem.
Agreed! I have a similar large backpack made for rock climbing that I use when I need more space than the Recon has, but I don't want to use multiple bags. It is more than capable of pulling full time duty as a pack for riding should I ever decide to do so. Anyone looking for a backpack for riding should not forget to include those types of backpacks in their search!
On a side note I never have liked tank bags -- they can interfere with the bars at full lock, especially with my preferred low bars, and more importantly vibration transmitted through the tank can adversely effect any sensitive devices such as cameras, a thermos, or electronics. In a backpack the isolation provided by your body prevents this. Add to that the fact that any valuables in a backpack stay with you, instead of on the bike. An important point under certain curcumstances.

Rob
I too have found that typically tank bags larger than the little ones you see that are about the size of a shoe tend to be so large that they get in the way. I have not had this problem with the Recon. it is literally about the same width as the slightly raised portion of the center of the Niner's tank, and therefore I have never had problems with it getting in the way while riding or turning the bars to full lock. (The bars will touch the front corners of the bag, but not press into it, and I am running the stock bars. YMMV) Although I have carried sensitive things in my tank bag in the past, I have to agree with Rob that it is much more adviseable to carry them in a backpack for all the reasons he already stated.

#18 ·
Having not used a backpack since the Boy Scouts in 1958, I am at loss to recommend one. My first thought is what kind of damage can incur when you become airborne in an accident and land on some of the hard objects that you may be carrying. I am reluctant to carry objects in my riding pants and jacket for the same reason.

The right size tank bag and hard luggage is what I prefer.

#21 · (Edited)
OK this reminded me of one more thing I should bring up about my experience with the Recon 19. (Then I swear I will shut up about it!) About a year and a half ago, I had a lowside while wearing it as a backpack. (Hence my Niner now being matte black instead of silver.) I rolled over it at least twice while on the pavement and I kid you not, somehow it did not suffer any damage. Didn't snap the strap clips or anything. Must have just been how I rolled... it didn't get a chance to slide much is all I can figure. Anyway, I have the bag with me here at the office (I wasn't kidding - use it every day!) so I took a couple shots of it. The lighting is awful but you can see that there is no damage aside from the fabric on the zippers being a bit faded from 5+ years of sun exposure. I suppose I should also mention that nothing I was carrying in the bag was damaged, and none of it damaged me either.

Attachments

#20 ·
I like these for the fit which never restricts your arms or shoulder movement while seated on the bike and they move the pressure points around for much better load bearing support than conventional straps do. No loose straps to flap around or fray either, but you can still adjust and snug up or expand the pack as needed to fit the contents.

#22 · (Edited)
If you're thinking of long rides I recommend something with a built in water pouch like a camelbak. Definitely get something with a waist or chest strap so it doesn't move around when you're banking in turns.

Camelbak going strong for 7 years now, the mesh that holds water bottles are the only thing that shows wear but even that still does what it needs to.

#25 ·
I went with hard bags all around. Never used a backpack much, but I could fit one in any of the hard bags. Guess I need to visit rei.

#28 · (Edited)
I am a big fan of the Icon Squad 2. I like the velcro patches because one of the job sites I go through has tags that go on vehicles for entering the gate. It's done visually by a guard in the mornings so its nice for them to see that. Also, the way that the chest/vest portion of it hugs you and takes a large portion of the weight off your shoulders is just fantastic. I can't get a sack lunch in, which kind of sucks, but its great for just the laptop, tablet, chargers, and my minimal on the go setup.

My little setup....

Attachments

#29 ·
#31 ·
Thanks to all for the great input and personal accounts if their packs/bags. After considering my intended use and some rave reviews I've decided on the Recon 19 tank bag from Rapid Transit. Got one on order from Revzilla so I'll post back once I've given it a go. I guess the next thread should be which do you prefer tank bag, backpack or saddle/tail bags since this generated a lot of discussion.

#32 ·
Update

So, I received my new Recon 19 tank bag. Honestly exceeded my expectations. The quality seems quite good but the zippers do seem small or not very robust, time will tell. I really like the size, it's perfect, not too big but big enough for all my daily crap. The functionality is where this thing excels for me. I can slap it to the tank and haul ass without worry of restriction from a backpack or the thing flying off, the magnets are very strong. When I get to where I'm going I just yank it off and secure one of the straps to it and throw it over my shoulder. Only issue I see at the moment is the cell phone pocket. Not sure when they designed this bag but in the past four years phones have grown in size. I have an HTC One and it just fits. So really a non-issue since my phone does fit but with a little extra effort required.

Many thanks to Mr. B for his feedback on this bag. I also throw my hat in the ring for support of this tank bag. I see it lasting for many years to come and filling every need I throw at or into it! Posted some pics of the bag on my bike for reference.

Attachments

#33 · (Edited)
So, I received my new Recon 19 tank bag. Honestly exceeded my expectations. The quality seems quite good but the zippers do seem small or not very robust, time will tell. I really like the size, it's perfect, not too big but big enough for all my daily crap. The functionality is where this thing excels for me. I can slap it to the tank and haul ass without worry of restriction from a backpack or the thing flying off, the magnets are very strong. When I get to where I'm going I just yank it off and secure one of the straps to it and throw it over my shoulder. Only issue I see at the moment is the cell phone pocket. Not sure when they designed this bag but in the past four years phones have grown in size. I have an HTC One and it just fits. So really a non-issue since my phone does fit but with a little extra effort required.

Many thanks to Mr. B for his feedback on this bag. I also throw my hat in the ring for support of this tank bag. I see it lasting for many years to come and filling every need I throw at or into it! Posted some pics of the bag on my bike for reference.
Looking good! Glad it is working out for you... should continue to do so for quite some time. Happy to be of help with your search! :yes:

On an unrelated note... is that a silver 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport I see in the background?!? Two thumbs WAY up!!

#35 ·
Gotta chime in here, my wife got me the Kriega Rs-25 for Father's Day, it is SWEEET!!!

Hugs real tight and weight distribution is awesome, it doesn't even feel like I have any pack on my back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.