New member with a new to me 9er - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vicda9er

post #1 of 14 Old 04-23-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Techguru

Garage
New member with a new to me 9er

I can remember back in 2002 when the 919 was just a dream of mine. I had recently moved in with my girlfriend and had just turned 21. Unfortunately she was not enthused by my idea of motorcycling. I rode mini bikes as a kid and always wanted a big boy bike. As the years went on I longed for an asphalt black 919, even had a picture collage of them as my desktop wallpaper. Fast forward to 2011 and my dad surprises me with his 1968 CB450K0(the black bomber). The only downside is that he had previously completely disassembled it down to the frame and the parts were in boxes. We brought everything out of storage and began sorting and polishing with the hopes of restoring it to its former glory. Sometime in the late 70's or early 80's, about the time I was born, my dad had chopped the fenders and modified the bike to the current trend. Progress was slow on the restoration and I quickly came to realize that this particular bike is difficult to get parts for and the prices are out of sight due to rarity. I had pretty much given up on the idea of bringing the 450 back to life at that point. Then out of nowhere in 2012 my dad tells me about a friend of a friend who has a 1982 CB750K for sale. So we go and check it out but it doesn't run at all and the current owner says that the carbs had already been worked on. I took a chance based on my dads notion that we could repair the bike and I bought it. We pulled the carbs and found that someone had snapped and idle jet in the carb body. After soaking the carb parts in cleaner and polishing the tops to a mirror finish we put it all back together. I had never done so much work to one machine with just the hope of hearing it fire up for the first time. The 750 has treated me good ever since, took me on epic journeys to the great smokey mountains and fueled my desire to one day own a 919. After spending 5 years riding the 750 I finally found the deal of a lifetime on a mint 919. The owner was meticulous about maintenance and even added a full set of hard luggage. On 4/21/17 I'm now one of the proudest owners of a 2007 CB919 and I can't wait to have stories to tell about our adventures together. Big thanks and love to my Dad and my Jen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1982 CB750K (2).jpg (311.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 1982 CB750K (4).jpg (154.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0007.jpg (146.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0110.jpg (164.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2301.jpg (242.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20170421_155332.jpg (138.7 KB, 44 views)
badmoon692008 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-24-2017, 02:22 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome!

post #3 of 14 Old 04-24-2017, 01:55 PM
Optio

Is that 750 also called a Nighthawk? I didn't see the nighthawk badges, but the frame and engine and style looks like a Nighthawk.

Seems like a number of the CB/Nighthawk people went to the 919. I came from the 85 CB700S Nighthawk to the 06 919.

That's a great looking 919, looks like you got it pretty much fully loaded. What's the luggage look like? The luggage alone can be a $300+ investment.

post #4 of 14 Old 04-24-2017, 02:00 PM
919 Rider

Welcome to the pack! That's a nice clean 919 you've got there. Have fun modifying her. Still got pair valves I see, flapper as well?

post #5 of 14 Old 04-24-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Techguru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
Is that 750 also called a Nighthawk? I didn't see the nighthawk badges, but the frame and engine and style looks like a Nighthawk.

Seems like a number of the CB/Nighthawk people went to the 919. I came from the 85 CB700S Nighthawk to the 06 919.

That's a great looking 919, looks like you got it pretty much fully loaded. What's the luggage look like? The luggage alone can be a $300+ investment.
Do you still have the 700?

Mine is the K model. Honda made them in several trims in 82, after 82 I believe only the Knigthawks lived on
750C for the custom, cruiser style
750F for the sporty model
750K was the standard model
And I think the Knigthawks in 82 were CB750SC
Honda started using the DOHC 750 motors in 1979 but they had a poor charging system and aren't known to be the most reliable. My motor has held up ok but I've had issues with the charging rotor overheating. I think they updated the charging systems between 83 and 84, they also went to hydraulic​ valve lifters for less engine maintenance.

I'll snap some pics of the 919 luggage soon. It's a Givi E46 trunk, with lights and 2 Givi 33 liter Trekker saddles. All the luggage brackets have quarter turn quick release screws for the mounting plates and bars. I priced out the luggage and brackets and the previous owner spent around a grand from what I'm seeing. I like that it came with a center stand as I do my own maintenance, but I'm probably going to reinstall the original turn signals and foot pegs. I'm digging the renthal high road bars since I'm used to an upright position. As much as I thought I'd switch back to the stock exhaust he included I'm kinda liking the look and even quiet sounds of the carbon fiber Leo Vince's

post #6 of 14 Old 04-24-2017, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Techguru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Welcome to the pack! That's a nice clean 919 you've got there. Have fun modifying her. Still got pair valves I see, flapper as well?
Thank you, the previous owner didn't mention anything about removing the flapper. From what I understand the pair valves recirculate the gases in the case back into the intake and remove harmful emissions. If removing gives for a horse power gain I'll probably just leave them, I'm satisfied for now. What is the flapper, what are the benefits and side effects of removing?

post #7 of 14 Old 04-25-2017, 01:38 AM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicda9er View Post
Do you still have the 700?

Mine is the K model. Honda made them in several trims in 82, after 82 I believe only the Knigthawks lived on
750C for the custom, cruiser style
750F for the sporty model
750K was the standard model
And I think the Knigthawks in 82 were CB750SC
Honda started using the DOHC 750 motors in 1979 but they had a poor charging system and aren't known to be the most reliable. My motor has held up ok but I've had issues with the charging rotor overheating. I think they updated the charging systems between 83 and 84, they also went to hydraulic​ valve lifters for less engine maintenance.

I'll snap some pics of the 919 luggage soon. It's a Givi E46 trunk, with lights and 2 Givi 33 liter Trekker saddles. All the luggage brackets have quarter turn quick release screws for the mounting plates and bars. I priced out the luggage and brackets and the previous owner spent around a grand from what I'm seeing. I like that it came with a center stand as I do my own maintenance, but I'm probably going to reinstall the original turn signals and foot pegs. I'm digging the renthal high road bars since I'm used to an upright position. As much as I thought I'd switch back to the stock exhaust he included I'm kinda liking the look and even quiet sounds of the carbon fiber Leo Vince's
I still have the Nighthawk 700S, it has an oil leak in the head that indicates a crack in the head and the carbs started screwing with me so I just let it sit. She's got the corbin seat, crash bars and new paint. I miss ridding that thing, but the parts are dam hard to get and finding the time for another teardown to replace the head doesn't appeal to me much. It's sad because I put quite a bit of work into getting her setup right, then noticed oil leaking from the head where it wouldn't be a gasket, so I just parked it.

There should be some fix for that charging rotor, those 750's were pretty popular, people really love those.

I'd love a set of that luggage, but it's not in the budget, so I use some soft saddle bags.

The flapper mod. Honda put a flapper to stop backfire when you decelerate, I forget what the gain is, but I haven't bothered. I'd love to do the suspension upgrade, but those aren't cheap.

One thing I hate about the 919 is lack of storage, I like to keep a jacket liner on the bike at all times and I can't.

post #8 of 14 Old 04-25-2017, 06:06 AM
Princeps Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
The flapper mod. Honda put a flapper to stop backfire when you decelerate, I forget what the gain is, but I haven't bothered. I'd love to do the suspension upgrade, but those aren't cheap.
You're mixing up a few things here. The flapper is to stifle intake noise. Many people have blocked it off with negligible differences other than louder intake noise and maybe a slight performance change.

The pair valves inject air after the combustion chamber to ignite unburned fuel. This causes backfiring. Removing the pairs system will stop backfiring, with no real negatives. It also allows you to measure a correct A/F ratio if you're having the bike tuned or have an autotuner, otherwise the system will need to be blocked off to take those measurements.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #9 of 14 Old 04-25-2017, 09:05 AM
Ride or Die.

Garage
Welcome!

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

― Hunter S. Thompson
post #10 of 14 Old 04-25-2017, 10:44 AM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
You're mixing up a few things here. The flapper is to stifle intake noise. Many people have blocked it off with negligible differences other than louder intake noise and maybe a slight performance change.

The pair valves inject air after the combustion chamber to ignite unburned fuel. This causes backfiring. Removing the pairs system will stop backfiring, with no real negatives. It also allows you to measure a correct A/F ratio if you're having the bike tuned or have an autotuner, otherwise the system will need to be blocked off to take those measurements.
My bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Homer_Doh.jpeg (5.9 KB, 53 views)

post #11 of 14 Old 04-26-2017, 07:09 PM
Tirone

That is a sharp 919!

Which Columbus? Indiana?

I envy you, for the dad you have.

post #12 of 14 Old 04-27-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Techguru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
That is a sharp 919!

Which Columbus? Indiana?

I envy you, for the dad you have.

Thanks Sniper, my girlfriend refers to my bike as the red headed slut.

I live near Columbus OH, we're going on a riding trip out and back to California in​ September. I wouldn't have considered going cross country on my 82 750. But the 9 is so smooth on the highway, just hope the red shine doesn't catch any attention from enforcement.
My dad is definitely a great guy and a caring father. My girlfriend is also the best for putting up with my shenanigans. Plus she likes to have a 3 way with my new red headed slut, I've never named a vehicle before but I think I'll just call her 9.

post #13 of 14 Old 05-01-2017, 12:01 PM
Tirone

Garage
Congrats on the bike. Try to make room for the Trail Ridge Road on your trip. It's in Colorado and it's a must.

post #14 of 14 Old 05-07-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Techguru

Garage
Here's a couple of quick shots of the saddle bags. Wanted to try riding with them empty for the first time out with them on. I'll snap some of the trunk once I repair the wiring for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170507_135558.jpg (355.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20170507_135627.jpg (169.9 KB, 8 views)

"You do not need a therapist if you own a motorcycle, any kind of motorcycle" Dan Akroyd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode